St. Joseph was formed, thanks to St. Mary of Perpetual Help Church, in 1887 as one of the first Polish parishes in the Back of the Yards/Stockyard neighborhood. The area was densely populated with Polish families, the same families that worked at the Stockyards and transformed this neighborhood into the community that it is today.
Since our establishment in 1887 our neighborhood has gone through many changes, even the street that this church was founded on changed from Page Street to Hermitage Avenue. St. Joseph has also changed and evolved, the original church is now St. John Paul II Hall and in 1914 the current church building, designed by Joseph Molitor, opened. In the early 1950s the church was redecorated by artist John A. Mallin (see pictures here). In the 1990s the towers were reduced and the church bells were removed. The convent behind the rectory closed and a dirt lot remained in its place for many years until 2015, when St. Joseph Plaza was inaugurated with a beautiful paver rosary incorporated with pavers purchased by the families that helped fund the project. Through all these changes, St. Joseph has stood the test of time. The trilingual community has continued to grow into a fusion of cultures, languages and backgrounds.
We are happy to have just celebrated our 130th Celebration Gala this past November 4th, 2017. Thank you to everyone that was able to join us in our 130th Celebration Gala, it was a great evening starting with the mass officiated by Bishop Rojas and ending at the Mayfield Banquet Hall with a full house of people celebrating this special church that has become home to so many. Thank you St. Joseph Family, from our Founding Fathers to the present Parishioners, to the Future of St. Joseph. Here’s a copy of the Program Book for those that were not able to join us or simply were too busy enjoying yourself that day and did not have a chance to see it.
We look forward to being a part of the Back of the Yards community for many more years to come and continuing the Legacy of our forefathers.
St. Joseph is currently staffed by the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart–our Pastor is Father Hugo León Londoño.
To learn more about the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart visit: www.misacor-usa.org